Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Vallots and Baxes

My dream of being part of the Comelec finally came true. No, not for CE, but for the BAC. Bitter?

Dia asked me two days ago if I wanted to staff the BAC Comelec since the sub-unit she belonged to had a vacancy because one, her friend, backed out. Since the counting would be on a Tuesday night, I said yes. Better than rotting inside my dorm room doing nothing.

We were required to wear white but the only shirt left in my closet was black. I just decided not to man the voting booth yesterday. Around lunchtime, Dia texted me that their sub-unit was already complete. I wasn't needed anymore. Sad.

Then I saw Jeds. She told me that she wouldn't be able to stay late for the counting of ballots. I volunteered to replace her. I was already under Leah Miranda.

By 6PM, I returned to Narra to get my clean laundry from the labandera. I changed my shirt to white and hurried back to BA. Then I voted.

After 7PM, we proceeded to the third floor rooms to start officially the counting. Chris, Rubie, and I were in the same sub-unit handled by Leah. Our sub-unit was in charge of the ballot boxes of the BA sophomores and of the MBA.

The counting process was fun. There were formalities and rules we broke anyway. Like not talking to each other unless necessary. We were only allowed and required to say "box" when the tally of the votes of a candidate reached five or a multiple thereof. One, two, three, four. "Box." Six, seven, eight, nine. "Box."

I think the sophies had the second highest voter turnout. MBA, the second lowest. We were all laughing while reading and tallying the MBA votes. "No votes" and "abstain" beat the other candidates in some positions. Most of them obviously guessed and based their votes on how good the candidates' surnames sounded. Haha.

By the time our sub-unit finished counting, the others, including Dia's, who were in charge of the USC ballots, were still recounting because there were discrepancies between the tallies on the manila papers and on the tallying sheets.

By 11PM, almost all were finished and Carlo Rieza bought pizzas for everyone. Free food!

Next year, I will make sure I will be promoted as a Comelec Representative. If not for CE, for the BAC. ;p

No comments: