Sunday, March 12, 2006

Excuse My Korean



For two hours straight, I was reading this: summary to “Jewel in the Palace” (Jewel) episodes, thirty-six through fifty-three. I started at 2AM, and by 3AM, my eyes were already red and teary from the strain. Nonetheless, I kept reading it like scratching an itch, it felt so good I couldn’t stop.

I cannot wait to get my hands on a (pirated) set of “Jewel” VCDs and watch it over the summer. Without interruption.

Just this week I went into my dorm's TV area, in time for “Jewel”. After the opening credits, another dormer came in. He got the remote and switched the station to channel five. He said he’d just see if “American Idol” was already showing. I thought the arrangement would be that he'd switch the station to 5 only when it’s ‘”Jewel's” commercial break. It was the other way around. That jerk! I was hyperventilating the whole time. In my head, I kept banging the remote control to the his hideous face.

But nothing beats this.

“Last September, a young housewife jumped into the river in Nanjing, China, after quarreling with her husband. After being rescued out of the water, the wife told the policemen that she had been angry at her husband for changing the TV channel to watch a soccer match, just when ‘Daejanggeum,’ [Jewel in the Palace] a popular Korean TV drama was about to begin.

“‘I had warned him that I would really jump into the river if he wouldn't let me watch the drama, but he didn't
believe me,’ the shivering housewife had said…”- Shin Hae-in

Source: Soompi Forums

Other news: Daniel Henney stars in “Spring Waltz” by director Yun Suk-ho. The romantic drama is the fourth installment to the “season tetralogy”, which includes “Autumn Fairytale”, “Winter Sonata”, and “Summer Scent”.

No comments: