悲しさ
Some of you may wonder what in Japanese or Korean songs makes me listen to them. You might argue that I don’t even understand any of these languages. You are right. However, let me tell you, aside from the fact that I tend to be not like everybody and that I am a geek (the anime-loving type), lyrics are only secondary consideration to me.
The main reason I like a song is its total sound: the instruments and the artist’s voice. Very attentively, I take note of every element and layer of instruments played in a song. Japanese pop songs have their distinct synthetic sound that becomes richer when blended with organic sound. I am also particular with the vocal quality of the singer. The singing voice can convey emotions as effectively as the lyrics to a song do. The same goes with a song’s music or melody or whatever it is called.
Sadness is addictive and I get an overdose of it whenever I listen to, umm, sad songs. Even if the song is in a language I don’t speak or is stripped of all its lyrics and the singer just hums, I can still empathize (while drowning in self-pity.)
(This supposed to be the introduction in the entry I originally intended to make. It ended up being an entry in itself.)
Some of you may wonder what in Japanese or Korean songs makes me listen to them. You might argue that I don’t even understand any of these languages. You are right. However, let me tell you, aside from the fact that I tend to be not like everybody and that I am a geek (the anime-loving type), lyrics are only secondary consideration to me.
The main reason I like a song is its total sound: the instruments and the artist’s voice. Very attentively, I take note of every element and layer of instruments played in a song. Japanese pop songs have their distinct synthetic sound that becomes richer when blended with organic sound. I am also particular with the vocal quality of the singer. The singing voice can convey emotions as effectively as the lyrics to a song do. The same goes with a song’s music or melody or whatever it is called.
Sadness is addictive and I get an overdose of it whenever I listen to, umm, sad songs. Even if the song is in a language I don’t speak or is stripped of all its lyrics and the singer just hums, I can still empathize (while drowning in self-pity.)
(This supposed to be the introduction in the entry I originally intended to make. It ended up being an entry in itself.)
2 comments:
i agree, japanese music nga has a certain spice to it that I can't explain. pero, since para sa akin big part din ang lyrics, I make an effort to get the translations para naman mas ma-appreciate ko. ^^ sometimes nga the song sounds ordinary pero when I read the translation, i fall inlove! hehehe..
that's why i'll study japanese this summer. whee! i really love utada hikaru. she writes and composes her own songs. :D
Post a Comment