Friday, May 05, 2006

Playlist

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)

I first heard this song from the opening credits of Kill Bill Volume I. It grew on me only after repeatedly listening to it on my friend's cell phone. The simple lyrics, the haunting music, and the equally haunting voice of Nancy Sinatra (which reminds me of Karen Carpenter's) narrate a tragic love story.

Circles

This is probably my most favorite in The Emancipation of Mimi record. Basically, it has the same story as "Breakdown". This time though, Mariah goes for an organic sound and does away with her unintelligible whispers.

Is She the Reason

This track is from Destiny Fulfilled. The trumpets and the bass drum create the Motown-y acoustics. This somehow explains the nostalgic feeling that overwhelms me whenever I listen to the song. The only other song able of the same effect on me is "Taiyo ga Mata Kagayaku Toki", the fourth ending theme of the anime "Yu Yu Hakusho".

Feel the Same Way I Do

It is one of the two previously unreleased tracks from Destiny’s Child's final and greatest-hits album #1's. It's amazing how Beyonce's songwriting has matured through time. Now they can sing about sex (of course, tastefully) and the myriad of emotional complexities and complications that come along with it.

No comments: