Saturday, April 08, 2006

Wings and Letters

These are two songs I'm currently, repeatedly listening to. They were written, composed, and sung by Utada Hikaru.

The music and lyrics have a characteristic sedateness to them. Sigh.

I am posting the English translation here. Hope you'll appreciate the beautiful poetry. :)

Wings

Motionlessly, staring at your back
I wonder if I should hold you close

These bold things are just my imagination
(lalalalalala, lalala ooh oh)
These large, short-term wings just don't fly
(Only you are my friend)
Soothing words build up but remain unsaid
(lalalalalala, lalala ooh oh)
How did I get used this so easily?
(Only you are my friend)

The temperature of my bath isn't warm enough
My dependency on you is not enough either
Maybe that's just unnecessary kindness to myself

I want to feel safe in someplace warm
(lalalalalala, lalala ooh oh)
Reading my favorite writer's book
(Only you are my friend)
Quickly forgetting the words of yesterday
(lalalalalala, lalala ooh oh)
Why do I doubt someone I love?
(Only you are my friend)

Take a chance in the headwind and fly
Don't be anxious and close before the ending

However, I can be prepared for tomorrow
I'll go to sleep early tonight

What I'm writing I can say in front of you;
I'm dreaming of heaven

Letters

Walking on the warm sand,
Towards the sea where sad news won't reach me
Even without you, when the sun rises
A new day begins

The choices I made today
I don't know where they'll lead me
That's the reason why
My lazy self works everyday

Ah.. The sky in both my hands, a storm in my heart
Ah.. My farewells to you
Ah.. What remained on this seashore
Was always a letter, left behind
Ah.. even in my dreams, even on the phone
Ah.. I want to hear your voice
Ah.. You, never good with words
Always left behind a letter

When I become busy
Sometimes I forget to communicate
It happens to anyone, once or twice

Today I spoke to an elderly person
"Being alone's alright, too," they said
Skeptical me, I'm still thinking it over

Ah.. Like names to flowers, wishes to stars
Ah.. Me to you
Ah.. Decorating this windowsill
Was always a letter, left behind
Ah.. If only over the shirt
Ah.. I want to feel you
Ah.. I remember the last line
"I'll be back for sure"

Ah.. A place to relax, the sequel of a dream
Ah.. "Welcome home" to you
Ah.. From somewhere in the world
I'll keep sending myself back to you
Ah.. Even in my dreams, even on the phone
Ah.. I want to hear your voice
Ah.. When you, never any good with words,
Suddenly become far away from me
Nothing else is needed

No comments: