Update: Do you want to know the most shocking CE gossip for the 1st Sem AY 2007-2008? (It's already a few months old although still only a handful are aware of it.) Text me! :P
---
I'm so distracted I'm distracted from my usual distraction-- which is blogging. For the lack of a narrative, I present you with my latest music download.
When singing videoke at home was still a pastime activity for us, my mother never missed to sing to the tune of The Carpenters' songs. She would then proceed to resent my generation's taste for noisy, artificial-sounding music. I was really indifferent to her most loved band until Toni Gonzaga rendered "Superstar" (lyrics) a cappella in an "Eat Bulaga" Lenten special. It was only then that I started to appreciate the music of The Carpenters.
During a period when rock and soul started to flourish, the music of the Carpenters was lambasted by critics saying it was too bubble-gum poppy. What probably was their saving grace was Karen Carpenter's voice. It had a remarkable hint of melancholy. The kind that was contagious and potent. Although seemingly trivial at first, it would slowly creep into the listener's subconscious making him turn to introspection and be haunted by his own emotional demons. The fact that Karen struggled with and died from anorexia makes her voice all the more romantic. A romantic tragedy, indeed.
If I had to pick my most favorite in their discography, I think it would have to be "A Song for You" (lyrics).

No comments:
Post a Comment