On Back to Basics
Even before Christina Aguilera's latest offering Back to Basics is released in stores, I've heard comments showing little confidence in her recent musical venture. "[...] she keeps making music the market just simply doesn't respond to." (Did I even punctuate that sentence correctly?)
I have to admit I, too, have been worrying of disappointing sales for this album since her previous singles "Tilt Ya Head Back" and "Car Wash" having somewhat similar genre as Back to Basics' have charted unsuccessfully on Billboard. Then, I came across the following interview.
Newman (interviewer): The album is very ambitious. There is the sense that you were holding nothing back.
Aguilera: I totally went to bat every single day, I put my whole heart into it. I really opened myself up a lot and I appreciate and admire artists who are ambitious and are able to really take chances and think outside of their own comfort zone. I think the only time we really pave the way for future music and to encourage future artists to be their own individual selves and to express themselves to their fullest capacity is to encourage them to think outside of that safety box. And, yeah, it can feel naked sometimes, but I think it's for the good of music sometimes and for the good of being an artist, period.
"Singer Channels A Bygone Era On Double-Disc Set" (snippet), Melinda Newman, July 24, 2006, Billboard official website. (Isn't it obvious I didn't take up English 10?)
Which reminds me of Utada Hikaru and ULTRA BLUE, a very parallel case. Well, make or break, I will be behind Back to Basics', um, back. Yay toself-important genuine musical artistry! Needless to say I still hope this record would not turn out a commercial flop.
Ooh, only two weeks left for waiting and I can finally download the album. Talk about legitimate fan support.
Even before Christina Aguilera's latest offering Back to Basics is released in stores, I've heard comments showing little confidence in her recent musical venture. "[...] she keeps making music the market just simply doesn't respond to." (Did I even punctuate that sentence correctly?)
I have to admit I, too, have been worrying of disappointing sales for this album since her previous singles "Tilt Ya Head Back" and "Car Wash" having somewhat similar genre as Back to Basics' have charted unsuccessfully on Billboard. Then, I came across the following interview.
Newman (interviewer): The album is very ambitious. There is the sense that you were holding nothing back.
Aguilera: I totally went to bat every single day, I put my whole heart into it. I really opened myself up a lot and I appreciate and admire artists who are ambitious and are able to really take chances and think outside of their own comfort zone. I think the only time we really pave the way for future music and to encourage future artists to be their own individual selves and to express themselves to their fullest capacity is to encourage them to think outside of that safety box. And, yeah, it can feel naked sometimes, but I think it's for the good of music sometimes and for the good of being an artist, period.
"Singer Channels A Bygone Era On Double-Disc Set" (snippet), Melinda Newman, July 24, 2006, Billboard official website. (Isn't it obvious I didn't take up English 10?)
Which reminds me of Utada Hikaru and ULTRA BLUE, a very parallel case. Well, make or break, I will be behind Back to Basics', um, back. Yay to
Ooh, only two weeks left for waiting and I can finally download the album. Talk about legitimate fan support.
No comments:
Post a Comment