Monday, July 14, 2008

Delayed Devotion

It seems you want to give me a lifetime of security. Down on your dying knees, I watch you beg, I watch you plead. But your words come much too late. My love for you has turned to hate because you've taken too much time to show me that you're mine.

You try to convince me about the possibilities, but I know that all your poetry just comes from insecurity. Because your actions mean nothing no more when it's what I've been waiting for. Because you've taken too much time to show me that you're mine.

You played me for a fool for too long. Blinded by your lies, I never saw your wrong. I'm no longer under your spell. Hear it in a song: You can go to hell!

When I drop you, boy, you'll need another toy, one that won't stand up for herself. When I knock you down, you'll need another town where somebody's going to talk to you. You just let me wait and now it's too late for your delayed, delayed devotion...

No comments: